- 1 ½ lbs onions
- 3 Tbsp butter
- ¼ c sugar
- 1 c dry red wine
- ¼ c balsamic vinegar (plus 2 to 3 tsp more if needed)
- Salt to taste
- Peel and slice onions in half and then into thin slices.
- Heat skillet over medium heat and add butter. When melted, add onions and sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally until onions are soft and beginning to caramelize, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add wine and ¼ cup balsamic vinegar and stir until bubbly. Reduce heat and simmer until liquids have evaporated, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle in some salt. Taste to see if additional vinegar is needed for balanced sweetness and tartness.
Suggested equipment: Swiss Diamond skillet