- 1 ½ lb small Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 small onion
- 8 eggs
- ½ c jarred red pepper strips
- ½ c frozen peas, thawed
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and slice potatoes into thin 1/8” thick slices using a mandoline. Parboil potatoes until just barely becoming tender. Drain and immerse in an ice bath to stop the cooking. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Cut onion in half, peel and remove stem and root ends. “Pole cut” onion halves into thin 1/8” slices. Add to bowl with the potatoes.
- Gently combine potatoes and onion, season with 1 tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper and stir in ¼ c olive oil.
- Preheat 10” skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 Tbsp olive oil to the skillet and transfer potato mixture to the skillet and pack it down with a spatula.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Gently stir to rearrange potatoes and onion, then continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Repeat until potatoes are tender (about 10-12 minutes total cooking time).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs with ½ teaspoon salt until just combined (whites are incorporated).
- Stir red pepper strips and peas into eggs.
- Fold in the potato-onion mixture, then immediately return the mixture to the skillet, shaking the skillet to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes, shaking every 30 seconds or so to keep the tortilla from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- When the tortilla is browned on the bottom, carefully transfer to a plate then invert back into the skillet and continue to cook until browned on the second side.
- Transfer the cooked tortilla to a serving plate and let cool to room temperature; serve.
Suggested equipment: Cuisinart dual frittata skillet